Friday, May 10, 2013

Grandmothers...or Nanny's as I like to call them!

I am so very blessed that both of my Nanny's are still alive and with me today. 
I know many that can not say that. 
My grandmothers have always held a special place in my heart - in fact I can not imagine my life with out them. Our family has always been a close knit one. One that eats Sunday meals together, one that gets together for every holiday, one that will watch your kids at a drop of a hat, and the list could go on. It really is a rarity these days to find a family as close as ours. Perhaps it is because of these two ladies, the backbones, the pillars, the ones who have always kept it together. 

My Moms mother has always been known as Nanny Judy to me. 
As a little girl I have very fond memories of things we did together. 
She quit work to watch me when I was born and as I grew up I always road the bus to her house in the afternoons. She would always have a snack waiting for me. Apples & peanut butter one of my favorites.
I always went on family vacation with them, she would take me shopping for "back to school" clothes, she taught me how to cook & read recipes. We loved to find cookbooks at thrift stores or yard sales and go through them together marking pages of things we wanted to try. I remember spending lots of nights at her house. She would trim my bangs on the back porch. I learned to ride a bike going down the hill in her yard.  I shaved my legs for the first time at her house. I guess there is something special about being the first grandchild born and the connection - bond that is made. She is my "tell it like is grandmother." The one who holds nothing back. Although there have been times that I wished she did! I really wouldn't change anything about her though and love her just the way she is. 

My Dads mother has always been known as Nanny Karen to me. 
I also have very fond memories of things that we did together. 
As a little girl she was the one  who always made the best southern home cooked meals & still does by the way. I remember always wanting to spend the night on Saturday nights with them so I could go to church on Sunday. I remember the old black bible she had with notes throughout. It was one of my favorite things that she owned. Just like with my other grandparents I went on family vacations with them as well. They would go to the beach every summer and I was the tag along!  I remember Christmas Eve getting a bicycle from them that I so desperately wanted! She has always been my more tender heart-ed grandmother. More apt for talking things out with me and a voice of reason. I really wouldn't change a thing about her as well & love her just the way she is. 

Nanny Judy & Nanny Karen 


 Through the last couple of years both have had health issues that just come with age.
I am thankful they are still very healthy and active.
I am also thankful that my children have had the privilege of being raised up with there great-grandparents. They also love and adore them. It is a wonderful thing to have such sweet treasured memories. I hope they are with me for many more Mother's Day's to come! 

No comments: