Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Mothers... or Mamas as I like to say!

Since Mother's Day is approaching this Sunday the rest of the week my post will be geared towards Mothers... or Mamas as I like to say! 

Mother: 1) a female parent. 2) a woman exercising control, influence, or authority like that of a mother: to be a mother to someone. 3) the qualities characteristics of a mother, as maternal affection: It is the mother in her showing itself. 4) something or someone that gives rise to exercises protecting care over something else. 5) a person or thing that is very large, powerful, or impressive.


I got pregnant with our first child in 2004 much to our surprise! 
We were not planning on having a family right away as we had only been married going on 2 years. I was so nervous when I found out. I took 4 pregnancy test before Ryan got home that day because I was sure I was doing it wrong! 
After I finally accepted the fact that I was pregnant I called Ryan and asked him to come straight home after work. I remember it like it was yesterday. He said he would. I always expected him shortly after 5. On this particular day though 6 o'clock rolls around and he still wasn't home. I was on pins and needles by this point! Anxious is an understatement!!! I called him again to see where he was?! He had ran into a friend at one of his stops on his route and he was chatting away! 
How could he?! I was sitting there on egg shells and he is shooting the breeze!!! 
He finally made it in and I remember us sitting on the steps and him saying, 
"What is it? What is so important? Are you o.k?" 
I showed him one of the pregnancy test to which he replied, "What does this mean?" 
Tears came to my eyes as I said, "We're pregnant!" 
I think for the next few minutes the world stopped as we let the realization set in! 
He was excited, we hugged, we cried, and we told our parents! 
I wan't sure how far along I was but I made a doctors appointment and again to our surprise I was 9 weeks! 
What a miraculous thing to see a live baby inside of you. To know that you have been given a gift to take care of, to nurture, to protect, & to love. 
I could not have been happier! 
I also remember the day we found out what the sex of our baby would be. 
Ryan and I along with my Mama and his went to the doctor. I remember them asking if we had a guess as to what the baby was. I think we were split 50/50 although we didn't care! 
The doctor proudly proclaimed, "IT'S A GIRL!" 
My Mama immediately burst into tears! That afternoon she took me lunch and we of course went shopping! Lots of dresses and bows were in the future! 
On July 19th by c-section the most beautiful baby girl I had ever seen was born! 
She was perfect in every way.  I had never felt that type of bond or connection in my life. 
I had no idea I could love something so much so instantly! 


This sweet baby girl is now 7 years old. I now understand the meaning of "Where does the time go?"
It has flown by for me. The past 7 years of being a Mother, Ma-Ma, Mommy, to now Mama have taught me so much. All of our days have not been great but the good sure has out weighed the bad! 
From potty training to riding a bike I wouldn't trade it for the riches of this world. 
She is so wonderfully made! A strong willed, funny, intelligent, well rounded girl that is mine! 
I love being your Mama, Madilyn Charm! 

I


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love baby stories. So sweet....I too love being a mama! :)

A Mommy of Grace said...

Thank you!