Thursday, May 16, 2013

Oh be careful little tongue...


Have you ever heard the saying, 
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?"
Truth is...that's a LIE! 
Words do hurt.
Words are permanent and no matter how many times you apologize you can never take words back. 
I am reminded of this little song I learned in Sunday school as a child.

Oh be careful little tongue what you say...
Oh be careful little tongue what you say...
For the Father up above is looking down in love...
So be careful little tongue what you say! 

I think we as adults can learn a great lesson from the simplicity of this children's song.
Often times we speak before our brain has time to process what's about to come out of our mouths!
I know I have been guilty of this. 

It does not matter if you are right in an argument or a disagreement with someone... sometimes it's just best to be silent than to say something that you might regret. 
I love the saying, "Be careful about giving someone a piece of your mind...
you don't have too much left to give away!" 

There are times when our mouths are used to cut down others, back bite, & gossip .
Woman and men are equally as guilty of this.
This talk benefits no one. It only leads to heartache & pain.
Proverbs 16:28 ~ A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends."  
Let's face it. We are all happier and nicer when we keep our nose in our own business. 
I read this saying just today, 
"If you think the grass is greener on the other side, get away from the fence and take care of your own lawn!"
There is so much truth in that! 

Often times we take out our daily stress on those closest to us. Our spouse, our children, our parents because we know that they will forgive us and continue to love us. We say things that we don't really mean. We yell. We try to hurt. We cut down. 
I am so thankful for Gods forgiveness and the forgiveness of others. 
I have surely come short in my day to day life.  
I am thankful for His grace. 

In Ephesians 4:29 Paul tells us how we are to talk.
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." 

So today, let's think before we speak.
Let's let our words be those of grace, encouragement, compliments, love, & edification!

Often times this requires patience but we will see great rewards when we minister grace!





1 comment:

Brooke said...

I love being a homeschool mom! I love the hugs, kisses, smiles, helpers, and love notes I get all day long! I don't know how I could send my kids away to school- I would miss them too much. (most days ;))